Professor Philip Asherson
Philip Asherson, MB,BS, MRCPsych, PhD is Professor of Molecular Psychiatry at the MRC Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry centre at the Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London, and consultant psychiatrist at the Maudsley Hospital.
He earned his medical degree from The Royal London Hospital and his doctoral degree from the University of Wales. He was an MRC Clinical Research Fellow in the Department of Psychological Medicine & Institute of Medical Genetics at the University Of Wales College Of Medicine in Cardiff, where he worked on molecular genetic studies of schizophrenia. His current work focuses on clinical, quantitative genetic and molecular genetic studies of ADHD across the lifespan. He has contributed to the development of mental health services for adults with ADHD in the UK.
He is the President of the UK Adult ADHD Network (www.UKAAN.org), a professional network that aims to support clinical research, education and service provision for adults with ADHD. He was a member of the guideline development group for the National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) and contributed to published guidelines from NICE, the British Association of Psychopharmacology and the European Network Adult ADHD consensus paper.
Current research includes follow-up studies of ADHD from childhood to adulthood, investigation of mood instability and emotional regulation in ADHD, treatment of ADHD in young offenders, defining the psychopathology of ADHD; and quantitative and molecular genetic studies of ADHD and associated cognitive-neurophysiological endophenotypes. He has published more than 220 peer reviewed articles, including guideline documents on diagnosis and treatment of ADHD in adults.
Declaration of Interest
- Prof. Asherson has been a consultant for Jannsen-Cilag
- He has been a consultant for Eli-Lilly, Shire and Flynn Pharma.
- Prof. Asherson has received a research grant from Shire.
- He has received grants related to ADHD from Wellcome Trust, The Medical Research Council, US National Institute of Mental Health and the National Institute of Health Research.
- He has received an educational grant from Janssen-Cilag.
- Prof. Asherson has developed educational programs for Janssen-Cilag.
- He has given educational talks at meetings sponsored by Janssen-Cilag, Shire and Flynn-Pharma.
- Prof. Asherson has been a member of the NICE guideline development group for ADHD.