The below information has been put together by NICE to advise patients on what they should do if there are no local services, and find themselves unsupported in their local area.

NICE is an independent organisation responsible for providing national guidance for the NHS in the UK on promoting good health and preventing and treating ill health. The role of NICE is to produce guidance (advice) for the NHS on how to treat health conditions. The most important resource they have is their guidance. NICE produces guidance (advice) on a range of health topics. This guidance is evidence-based and well-respected. The guidance most relevant for ADHD is the following:


Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: Diagnosis and management of 

ADHD in children, young people and adults:

Any legal implications for the NHS if guidance is not followed, can be found on the following page of the NICE website:

The organisation with responsibility for monitoring the NHS and ensuring that national standards (such as those set by NICE) are met is the Care Quality Commission. NICE is hoping to publish detailed information on how their role and the role of NICE intersects soon, on the following page of the NICE website:


In the meantime, reference can be made to their website here:

We recommend that patients and carers who are unhappy about the treatment or care they have received from the NHS (for example, if they were not able to access treatment recommended by NICE) should try and resolve the problem at a local level first, by talking to a member of their healthcare team. The next step is to make a complaint to the healthcare provider. The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the local NHS trust or primary care trust will be able to offer advice on how to go about doing this. Contact details can be found on the PALS website at:]<> or via your hospital or GP surgery.

If a complaint cannot be resolved locally, under some circumstances the Parliamentary and Health Services Ombudsman may be able to investigate. The ombudsman exists to provide a service to the public by undertaking independent investigations into complaints that government departments, a range of other public bodies in the UK, and the NHS in England have not acted properly or fairly or have provided a poor service. Their helpline number is 0345 015 4033 and their website is

Patients and carers can also get independent advice and representation from their local Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS). ICAS has a statutory role to support patients and carers who wish to make a complaint about their NHS treatment or care. Contact details for your local ICAS helpline at: or by calling your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

The Patients Association is an independent charity that highlights the concerns and needs of patients. They can offer you a signposting service to independent information and advice on a range of healthcare issues and they also invite members of the public to share their experiences of healthcare in the NHS, which helps them with their research. Their helpline number is 0845 608 4455 and their website is:

Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA) is an independent charity which promotes better patient safety and justice for people who have been affected by a medical accident. A 'medical accident' is where avoidable harm has been caused as a result of treatment or failure to treat appropriately. They provide free and confidential advice and support to people affected by medical accidents. Their helpline number is 0845 123 2352 and their website is:

If you have any questions about our guidance, please do not hesitate to contact the NICE enquiry team on 0845 003 7781.